Contract: 12 months fixed-term
Working Hours: 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Location: Hybrid remote, with occasional travel to our Bristol Head Office or other Hft services as required.
#Care to join us?
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced public affairs and policy professional to join our team to deliver against Hft’s policy and campaigning strategy to support adults with a learning disability to live their best life possible.
Hft is a charity that supports adults with learning disabilities. We believe in a world where anyone with a learning disability can live within their community with all the choice and support they need to live the best life possible. We are looking for people who are naturally caring and compassionate and align with our values.
What’s in it for you?
There are a range of benefits and career development opportunities at Hft. We’ll give you a comprehensive induction, full training, and lots of support along the way.
With Investors in People and Skills for Care accreditation we are committed to investing in you to ensure you have the specialist skills and expertise needed to support people to live the best life possible. As a “Gold” standard Investors in People accredited employer, we are committed to supporting colleague wellbeing as a priority.
Annual Leave: 33 days pro rata (including 8 days statutory bank holidays)
Training: Access to award winning training and development
Wagestream: Allows you to flexibly access your pay throughout the month and utilise a range of financial support, through its dedicated app
Aviva Digicare + workplace: Access to wellbeing services including health checks, Digital GP and mental health support.
TELUS health: A 24/service, completely confidential counselling and support platform and helpline that is free for all colleagues to use.
Discounted mobile ‘phone contracts. As an Hft employee, you’ll be able to take advantage of Vodafone’s Employee Advantage programme, giving you up to 30% off.
Care Friends: Employee referral app – earn money for referring your friends to work for Hft.
Free life assurance – 3 x your annual salary
About the role
The Head of Public Affairs and Policy is responsible for defining and setting Hft’s policy and influencing strategy to support our organisational goals and objectives. As part of our Senior Leadership Team, this role leads our organistional positioning on issues that matter most to adults with learning disabilities, their families and the social care workforce.
Developing key stakeholder relationships with decision makers and the wider sector, the Head of Public Affairs and Policy is responsible for ensuring that Hft’s position is amplified and understood across key government departments, parliamentarians, MPs and Councilors. The role works closely with our Executive Team and the Board of Trustees to ensure Hft is maximising opportunities to achieve change for the wider population of adults with learning disabilities.
- -You will have proven experience in leading the production of policy and research outputs including full research programmes, reports and surveys
- -You will have proven experience in research and evaluation management and methodology including analysing quantitative and qualitative data
- -You will have demonstrable experience of public speaking and representing an organisation at senior levels
- -You will have substantial knowledge of, and ability to apply best practice approaches to, policy, campaigns and public affairs work, including digital approaches
- -You will have strong project management skills and experience
- -You will have excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to present clear, well-structured reports and briefs
- -You will have strong demonstrable understanding of the UK political and policy environment, and extensive knowledge of policy areas affecting the lives of people with a learning disability
For more information on the role and responsibilities, please refer to the job description & person spec.
STRICTLY NO AGENCIES PLEASE
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive sufficient applications.
Hft's usual terms and conditions apply. Hft is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. As a Disability Confident Employer, Hft is helping to ensure that disabled people have the same opportunities to fulfil their potential and realise their aspirations that people without disabilities do. Successful applicants will need to undertake an enhanced disclosure check against the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). Having a criminal record may not bar you from employment.